If you’re enthusiastic about the watercraft sports like surfing, water skiing, skimboarding etc. skimboarding is a perfect water sport for the beginners because of its smaller board size. This skimboarding is similar to a surfboard and has a flat bottom with no fin.The gilding of the board is effortless to sail over a water surface or wet sand towards a wave or riding in shallow water edge of oceans, seas, rivers and lakes. It propelled by human power instead of external sources, which displaces water backward and moves forward.
Initially, a considerable amount of practice is required for the skimboard beginners. You didn’t always require a beach or river edges to practice, the backyard of your home is also sufficient. There are different ways to arrange a skimboarding setup. But here,all you need is a little area, plastic warps (tarpaulin cover), pool noodles or sand sacks, duct tape, water and a skimboard.
Step 1: Location and tarp
1. Look out for the flat area on your backyard and spread the plastic wrap over 100 feet length and 20 feet width or maybe lesser, based on your convenience for the skimboarding.
2. Make sure that plastic wrap is flawless and skimboarding area has fewer up and downs.
Step 2: Pool noodles or sand sacks
1. You need to make a wall around the area of a plastic wrap or tarp using pool noodles. Take a duct tape and cut into larger pieces.
2. Place the pool noodles under the tarp and warp out with a duct tape, make a certain check to avoid gaps between the pool noodles.
3. Even you can use sand sacks in place of pool noodles, and try to maintain the minimum of 3 inch wall all around.
Step 3: Final step for arrangement
1. When the setup is ready, fill out the tarp area with ample amount of water using a hose.
2. Check out the overall tarp area for any water leakage. Now all the arrangement for the skimboarding is completed.
Step 4:First attempt for skimboarding
1. There different types of Skimboards are available in the market. Do your research in the local shops or take an expert’s advice to get some idea.
2. After selecting the perfect skimboard and don’t forget the wax on the board to avoid feetsliding.
3. If you’re doing the first attempt get a general idea because it takes running, jumping and balance. Stretch exercises are important before starting the session and try to get a perfect posture.
4. Holding the board is also important while practicing it. One of the preferred techniques for board holdingis one hand on the back tail and another hand on the halfway of the side rail.
5. Now it’s time for the first practice on the arrangement you made for the skimboarding. Try torun a smaller distance and when you’re in a good speed, drop your board in front and step leading foot and back footon the board. Don’t try to jump or hop on the board, it’ll lead you to fall.
Step 5: Failing and Practicing
1. This technique will help you to maintain good speed and continues practice will improve the performance.
2. You have to concentrate on the posture will skimboarding and try to step your foot on the middle of the board.
3. There are various methods available for the practice at home. This method is safer and avoids you to get hurt.